- 1 bunch Fenugreek leaves ( washed & chopped finely)
- 10-12 flakes of Garlic( peeled and finely chopped)
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh Ginger (grated)
- 3 Green Chillies (slit lengthwise)
- 2 cups Rice (preferably basmati rice) washed and soaked in water for 1/2 hr
- 1/2 tspn Turmeric
- 2 tblspn Cooking Oil
- 4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker or thick bottomed deep pan on the flame.
2. Add the chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies and stir briskly for 2 min.
3. Add fenugreek leaves and continue to stir fry on medium flame.
4. Add turmeric, water and salt to taste.
5. Stir and cover. If pressure cooking, then one whistle on high flame and second whistle on low flame. Else, cooked covered in pan. Check and stir occasionally to make sure the rice does not stick to the bottom.
6. Add a tsp or tblsp of butter or ghee and serve hot with pickle and/or raita of your choice.
- The rice tastes good with a dash of cummin seeds, and adding tomatoes and onions to the above recipe.
- If you want it really hot and spicy, add 5 cloves, 1 stick of cinnamon and 2 cardamoms along with the fenugreek leaves.
- You can also add 1 or 2 potatoes and some green peas , especially if there is no accompaniment.
- Garnish with raisins and half-slit cashews if you are serving it to guests.