Neem is antibacterial, antifungal, anthelmintic (an agent that kills, destroys and expels worms from the intestines), antidiabetic, antiviral, antiinfertility and sedative.
It has many medicinal properties.
- Neem twigs called 'Datun' in Hindi are used for brushing teeth.
- All parts of the neem tree (seeds, bark, leaves and flowers) are used for medicinal preparations.
- Neem is effective against some fungi like athletes foot fungus and ringworm.
- Warts are treated by rubbing a paste of neem leaves directly on the infected skin.
- Neem is used for treating fevers (also malarial fever) because of it's anti-pyretic(fever reducing) property.
- Ayurveda uses neem to cure diabetes, urinary problems, dermatological disorders, gynaeclogical disorders, piles & fistula, hair problems and dental hygiene.
- Mouthwash made from neem is effective for tooth decay, bleeding and sore gums.
- Neem treatment not only lowers high cholesterol levels but also decreases dependency on insulin, without altering blood glucose levels.
- Neem is digestive, and suppresses ill-effects due to wind, bile and phlegm.
- Neem is a natural antibiotic, and chewing a few leaves of neem everyday strengthens the immune system.
- Many neem products like neem oil, neem soap, neem toothpaste, neem toothpowder, neem mouthwash, neem leaf capsules, neem oil shampoo and neem oil conditioner, neem tea, neem candles and neem incense sticks are popular in India